The 2019-2020 Check Before You Light season ends on March 1, 2020. See the Press Release for more information.
Do you live within the City Limits of Chico? For information on the City’s wood burning restrictions, contact 896-7241 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Check Before You Light” is a voluntary program requesting residents to refrain from using wood stoves and fireplaces during poor air quality. “Check Before You Light” is implemented when air pollution approaches unhealthy levels. The program is aimed at keeping pollution levels of particulate matter below the health-based standards. The program runs from November through February. When an advisory is issued it will be posted on this website and sent to the media.
How To “Check Before You Light”:
- Check Our Burn Hotline: 332-9409 or toll free at 855-332-9409
- Check Your E-Mail:
- Receive an e-mail for Air Quality Forecasts: Sign Up Here (Choose AQI 101 or + for Advisory)
- Receive Tweets on Twitter: Follow @BCAQMD on Twitter for Advisories
- Check Our Web Site
- Check the Media: Advisories will be issued to newspapers, radio and television stations.
Important Note: Wood stove and fireplace use within the Chico City Limits is restricted by a City ordinance. For more information, please contact the City of Chico at 896-7241 or by email email@example.com.
Reduce Smoke When You Do Light:
- Use only dry, well-seasoned wood. Properly seasoned wood is darker, has cracks in the grain and weighs less.
- Keep your chimney swept and ash bin clean to improve air flow and reduce smoke.
- Stack wood loosely in your firebox, so plenty of air circulates around it.
- Keep the flame active. Don’t let your fire smolder overnight – keep enough air in the fire to maintain a flame.
- Check your chimney regularly to see how well your fire is burning.
- When storing wood, stack it under covering in a dry ventilated area.
- Properly install and maintain your EPA certified wood burning appliance. Your new appliance burns much cleaner and uses less fuel!
Need more info on Wood Stoves & Fireplaces? Click here.
See the 2016-2017 season summary here.
Want More Information? Check out these links: